How to travel to Koh Tao? (Part 1)
The only way to get to Koh Tao is by boat. Services run from the mainland leaving Chumphon and Surat Thani, and from the island of Koh Samui and Koh Phangan. There is no airport, and no bus or train stations on the island.
Bangkok Route. There are 4 alternative way :1. Fly to/from Koh Samui airport, There are two airline offering services, Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways, with the former operating more flights to/from Bangkok making it convenient for boat connections. Flights depart every half an hour from 06:00-22:00 , Check the boat timetables to the island and your flight to be sure of the connections (We are working to update the information, When the update the information is complete, e will let you know again.)
2. Fly to/from Chumphon, Chumphon has services with Nok Air and Happy Air. Nok Air offers a good connection when going from Koh Tao to Bangkok by the 14:45 afternoon boat with their flight arriving in Bangkok at 19:10.
3. A combined bus/boat ticket, The cheapest and most popular way, there are two companies who offers this service, Lomprayah Catamaran and Songserm Express. Their air-conditioned buses depart from Khao San Road in Bangkok and arrive in at their own piers at Chumphon. The boat journey to Koh Tao is between 2 and 3 hours depending on the boat.
4. A sleeping train to/from Chumphon railway station, Travelling on the sleeper train is usually more comfortable than the bus. You will almost have a proper bed so you can sleep during the journey. The boat companies provide free transfers between their piers and the train station.
- From Bangkok, you need to arrive at Chumphon station before 06:00 as the boats depart to Koh Tao at 07:00.
- Delays are possible on this train so you may have to get the afternoon boat with Lomprayah Catamaran.
- To Bangkok, it's better to take an afternoon boat from Koh Tao to catch the first sleeper train from Chumphon at 19:30
Coming soon ==>> How to travel to Koh Tao? (Part 2)